Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Locally Grown

I was born and raised right here in Los Angeles, California. So that basically means I have to represent, as well as hype up the music scene here. Luckily, however, there are lots of quality local bands to plug. Below are some favorites.

If you have ever received a mix CD from me, odds are I've placed a track from the Silverlake-based Castledoor. I first heard of these guys through a DJ at Indie 103.1 FM, a radio station I work for in Los Angeles. They also played one of the free shows at the Hammer Museum last summer and totally rocked it - not to mention, they signed my poster and kindly chatted with my friends and I. So not only are these people good human beings, they also make good music! Casteldoor plays upbeat, melody-driven indie pop. What does that mean, you ask? It means that their tunes instantly inspire you to sing along. They are easy to listen to without boring anyone, put on an awesome show, and they are all really cute! Listen to their new EP here or check out my favorite tracks "Burn the Maps" and "Magnetic Forces".

Let's Go Sailing is a charming band fronted by LA-resident Shana Levy, who named the project after a bumper sticker on her father's car. Levy cites Elliott Smith as one of her primary music influences - which is hinted at by her delicate pairing of senimental lyrics and beautiful music. The song "Sideways" which can be found on the band's Myspace is a truly gorgeous piece of music. The song begins with soothing piano that's gradually joined by numerous string instruments, followed soon after by Levy's picture-perfect vocals. She sings, "I have no probelms dipping in my feet/the trouble comes when I have to jump/And all the reasons not to seem pretty good at the time." You can see the video here. This song is personal, but not too private - which means it's relatable; something I really appreciate in music. Though the tracks are personal and sentimental, they are not "downers" by any means. Check out the band here.

Bedroom Walls is a band that sounds very similar to what their name would suggest. It's sleepy, dreamy melodic music that would be more than appropriate appropriate for a lazy day in bed. Imagine a lot of "oooh's" "aaahhs" and "doo doo doos" mixed together with slow-moving guitar parts and smooth female vocals - that's Bedroom Walls for you. Frontman Adam Goldman describes the band's sound as "Romanticore" about which he said, "Romanticore is like emo for people who aren't retarded." But I'll just say if you're into Autolux, Blonde Redhead, the glockspiel or triange, etc - check out "In Anticipation of Your Suicide" at the band's Myspace

You know who is really good? The Pity Party. They've done the whole Sunset Junction/SXSW deal and played tons of shows throughout LA - so they have a substantial local following. But for my East Coast buddies back in Boston, you guys need to check this out. I don't really feel like going into too much detail - so maybe you could just trust me on this one. Their music is innovative and the packaging for their EP is both environmentally conscious and adorable - made from recycled billboard vinyl and cardboard showcasing local artist Donald Dzerigian's sketches. Listen here.

I used to be a huge At The Drive In fan. I'm talking undying, walking to the moon and back, romantic and osbessive love for this band. And that's why I like Eagle and Talon. They have similar high-energy post-punk feel to them - but it's led by two cute chicks. Does it get any better? When I first heard the song "Dropped Down", I played it 3 times back-to-back every morning for at least a month. It's that good. The song has an infectious (though miminalist) beat, a melody that is catcy as hell, and sassy lyrics. Who couldn't like that? This band brings it - just when you think each song has hit its peak, they whip out something new. Listen to them here as soon as possible!

No comments: